Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

You can apply for Financial Aid at   This application covers Grants, Federal Direct Loans and Federal Work-Study. Cloud Community College's Federal School Code is: 001909.

Do I need to establish an FSA ID?

The FSA ID is the username and password you use on Federal Student Aid websites such as and Students, parents and borrowers are required to use an FSA ID, made up of a username and password, to access certain U.S. Department of Education online systems. Your FSA ID is used to confirm your identity when accessing your financial aid information and electronically signing your federal student aid documents.

How long does it take to process my Financial Aid file?

The Financial Aid process can take eight weeks or longer, depending on what documentation is required, and how quickly the student fulfills these requirements. Apply early; some types of Federal Aid are awarded to eligible students on a first-come first-serve basis.

What is verification? Why was I selected?

Verification is a process in which the Financial Aid Office is required to verify certain information listed by the student on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Common information to verify includes Federal Income Tax information, number in household, number of students in college, and untaxed income information. The Department of Education randomly selects applicants for the verification process. If a student is selected for verification, they must provide all the required documentation in order to receive Financial Aid.

What does EFC mean?

EFC stands for 'Expected Family Contribution'. The Department of Education uses income and asset information from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to calculate each student's EFC. The student's EFC determines his/her eligibility for need-based aid, such as Federal Pell Grant, Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant, Federal Work-Study, and Federal Direct Loans.

Are my classes going to be dropped if my Financial Aid is not ready?

If your Financial Aid is not complete before payment for classes is due, you will need to contact the Business Office to inquire about a payment plan or pay your bill in full.

Contact the Financial Aid Office if you have questions regarding how dropping a class will affect your Financial Aid.

Do I have to re-apply for Financial Aid every semester?

You do not have to re-apply every semester for Financial Aid; however you do have to re-apply for Financial Aid each's academic year. CCCC's academic year starts with the Fall semester, and includes the following Spring and Summer semesters. Every Fall, a new Financial Aid year begins. Apply early; some types of Federal Aid are awarded to eligible students on a first-come first-serve basis. You can apply for Financial Aid at

My parents make too much for me to qualify for Financial Aid. What can I do?

Most students are eligible for at least an Unsubsidized Loan, even if their parents  income is too high to qualify for a Pell Grant, or other need-based aid. The following are criteria to be eligible for Federal Student Aid:

  1. Enroll in an eligible program of study leading to a degree, diploma, or certificate.
  2. Be a U.S. citizen, or an eligible non-citizen.
  3. Have a high school diploma, or complete the GED before receiving federal aid.
  4. Not be in default on any loan, nor owe repayment on grants previously received from any college.
  5. Be registered with Selective Service, if required.
  6. Maintain the standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress
How many hours do I have to be enrolled in to receive Financial Aid?

The minimum number of credit hours required varies for different types of Financial Aid. To be eligible for a Federal Direct Loan, a student must be enrolled in a minimum of six (6) credit hours. The minimum number of credit hours to be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant varies from student to student. Please contact the Financial Aid Office to ask about your individual situation.

Can I get Financial Aid from two different colleges during the same semester?

No. Students who are taking classes at two different colleges during the same semester may be eligible to receive Financial Aid for their combined enrollment at both colleges. For the Federal Pell Grant, a student can only receive a Pell Grant payment from ONE (1) college per semester.

However, it may be possible to combine the student's enrollment at two colleges into one total enrollment, and receive the Pell Grant based on the total enrollment from one college. This is referred to as a Consortium Agreement. Please contact the Financial Aid Office to request a Consortium Agreement.

Student's may have loan eligibilty please contact the Financial Aid Office.

What determines my grade level? How do I find this information?

Your grade level for a Federal Direct Loan is based on how many hours of college credit that you have completed. Students are classified as a "Freshman", until they pass 30 credit hours of college credit. Students are classified as a "Sophomore", if they have passed 30 or more credit hours.

If my Financial Aid is complete and I am enrolled in classes but I decide not to take classes what should I do?

You should notify our Financial Aid Office, and we will cancel your Financial Aid for that semester. If you were also awarded Financial Aid for the next semester, that Financial Aid will still be available if you decide to take classes.

***Failure to attend or ceasing to attend a class does not constitute an official withdrawal!***

This is applicable regardless of the number of hours dropped, simultaneous hours added or the time period of the drop. Failure to make a formal request in writing to drop a class or classes will result in full assessment of charges whether any sessions are attended or not.

Why do I have to use my parents' income if I do not live with them, and I pay my own bills?

The Department of Education uses the following criteria to determine if a student must provide their parent's income information on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA):

  • For 2020-2021 Academic Year - Were you born before January 1, 1997?
  • Will you, the student, be working on a master's or doctorate program during this school year (such as an MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD, or graduate certificate, etc)?
  • As of today, are you, the student, married? Answer "YES" if you are separated but not divorced.
  • Do you, the student, have children who receive more than half of their support from you?
  • Do you, the student, have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you now and through June 30, 2021 for the 2020-2021 FAFSA application?
  • Is the student: an orphan (both parents are deceased), or are you or were you (until age 18) a ward/dependent of the court?
  • Are you, the student, currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training?
  • Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?

If you can answer "Yes" to any of the questions listed above, then you are not required to provide your parents' information on the FAFSA. If you answer "No" to all of the questions above, then you are required to provide your parents information on the FAFSA, unless there were extreme circumstances as to why you are no longer dependent on your parents for support. Independent status is NOT determined by your wish to be financially independent from your parents, nor on the basis of your parents unwillingness to finance your college education. Please contact the Financial Aid Office if you have additional questions.

My parents are divorced, whose income am I required to provide on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

If your parents are divorced or separated, you will provide information on the FAFSA for the parent who you lived with more during the past 12 months. (If you did not live with one parent more than the other, give answers about the parent who provided more financial support during the past 12 months or during the most recent year that you actually received support from a parent.) If that parent is remarried as of today, answer the questions on the rest of the FAFSA form about that parent and the person who your parent married (your stepparent).

How do I transfer my Financial Aid to/from another school?

There are a couple of ways to get your Financial Aid information sent to Cloud. If you completed your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online, you can go online and add Cloud's Federal School Code to your Student Aid Report as a correction. Adding Cloud's School Code lets the Department of Education (DOE) know that you want your Financial Aid information to be sent to Cloud.

Cloud's Federal School Code is 001909.

If you are transferring to another school, you will list that school instead of Cloud.Once we receive your Financial Aid information from the DOE, we will contact you, letting you know of any further documentation that is needed.

Is my Financial Aid refund issued to me, or does it carry over for the next semester?

All Financial Aid available after a student account  has been paid is refunded to the student each semester. Financial Aid refunds do not carry over for the next semester.

My award letter said that I was going to receive a certain amount, but I did not get as much as it said, why?

Award letters are based on Full-Time enrollment of FA eligible hours.  If you enroll less than Full-Time, your Pell Grant will be pro-rated based on your actual enrollment for each semester.

When are Financial Aid refund checks available?

Please see Refund Information for the scheduled refund days.

What are the loan limits?

The annual loan limits are:

Freshman: $5,500 with no more than $3,500 in Subsidized loans. Sophomore: $6,500 with no more than $4,500 in Subsidized loans.

Independent Undergraduate Students and Dependent Students whose parents cannot borrow a PLUS loan may be eligible for up to $4,000 in additional Unsubsidized loan.

The amount a student can actually borrow may not exceed cost of attendance minus other assistance (or, for subsidized loans, other assistance plus the EFC).

Aggregate loan limits for undergraduate dependent students: $31,000 (no more than $23,000 of which can be subsidized). Undergraduate independent students: $57,500 (no more than $23,000 of which can be subsidized).

If I am placed on warning for Financial Aid, what does that mean?

Students who fail to meet the academic progress standards at Cloud County Community College will be placed on Financial Aid Warning for the following semester or the next semester that a student attends.  Students placed on Financial Aid Warning will remain eligible to receive Federal Financial Aid as long as they meet or exceed the required SAP standards in the following semester.  Denial of Federal Financial Aid will occur if the requirements are not met during the warning period.

If I am placed on Denial for Financial Aid, what does that mean?

Please see Satisfactory Academic Progress for SAP questions.

Does my academic progress affect my Financial Aid?

Academic progress is calculated different from Financial Aid SAP requirements. You can be placed on both. Your Financial Aid SAP status is the only one that will affect your Financial Aid.

If I am placed on Financial Aid Deal for SAP, does this mean I will lose my scholarships?

Not necessarily, however you should double check with your scholarship sponsor.

Does my SAP status follow me to other institutions should I decide to transfer?

You should check with the other institution. Each institution has their own SAP policy and they may or may not consider your Cloud SAP status.

Does my SAP status from another institution affect my Financial Aid status at Cloud?

Students transferring from another institution will have their SAP status reviewed prior to any Financial Aid being awarded.  Transfer hours will be counted as both hours attempted and hours completed.