Disability Services

Cloud County Community College is committed to providing equal access to students with documented disabilities through reasonable accommodations and services based on individual need. Postsecondary accommodations require student self-advocacy and independence. Disability services are provided through the Advisement Center located in the Student Union on the Concordia campus and in Student Services at the Geary County campus.

Contact Information:

Concordia Campus
Kris Farmer/Disability Services
Cloud County Community College
2221 Campus Drive, PO Box 1002
Concordia, KS 66901
785.243.1435 ext. 345

Geary County Campus
Dr. Crystal Davis/Disability Services
Cloud County Community College
631 Caroline Ave.
Junction City, KS 66441
785.243.1435 ext. 713

Who should apply?

  • Students who received accommodations through high school Special Education programs or
  • Students who have worked with Vocational Rehabilitation or a physician to document disabilities that directly affect their classroom performance.

What services can students receive?

While federal law does not allow for the alteration of course requirements, students can receive reasonable accommodations including academic adjustments and auxiliary aids. Academic adjustments are accommodations such as lengthened time to complete tests or testing in a reduced distraction environment. Auxiliary aids are accommodations such as tape recorders, magnifying glasses, lift keys or special seating. These accommodations are only made available to students who have completed the following required steps.

Steps to Requesting Accommodations:

Students wishing to receive accommodations must complete the Request for Accommodations form and provide appropriate disability documentation to Disability Services.

Attn: Disability Services
Cloud County Community College
2221 Campus Drive
P.O. Box 1002
Concordia, KS 66901

  1. Complete the Request for Accommodations form and meet by phone or in person with the disabilities coordinator for an intake conversation. During this initial meeting, the discussion will focus on how the disability affects the student and what accommodation(s) may be needed. Early contact is encouraged as it can take weeks for accommodations to be arranged.
  2. Students will be required to provide appropriate documentation of their disability. Required documentation must be current and include the following:
    • The date of diagnosis and statement identifying the disability.
    • The student’s current functional limitations specific to academic performance or major life activity.
    • Description of the methods used to identify the specific disability
    • Recommended accommodation(s) and the duration of accommodation(s)
    • Explanation of how the suggested accommodation(s) will benefit the student

    Types of documentation include:

    • IEP/504 Plan
    • Recent evaluations
    • Letters from doctors
    • Hospital reports
    • Disability Verification Form 
  3. If a student does not have current documentation, then they must have the disability diagnosis made by a licensed professional in the field directly related to the disability. The college is not able to provide testing or diagnosis of a disability, and the college is not responsible for the fees associated with the diagnosis of the disability. Paper copies of the Disability Verification Form are available in the office or via email.

  4. After submitting the completed request form and submitting the documentation, Disability Services will determine if the documentation is adequate both to establish the existence of qualifying disability and to support the requested accommodations.

  5. Accommodation letters are developed after the determination of reasonable accommodations. Students must request accommodations each semester and requests should be made as far in advance as possible.

  6. Students are responsible for providing a copy of the accommodation letter to their instructors. Once an instructor receives an accommodation letter, the student has the right to ask the instructor for any accommodation(s) listed in the letter. Accommodations are not retroactive.

  7. Students must notify Disability Services of any schedule changes.

Suggested Reference

The United States Department of Education has available an informative publication for students with disabilities who are transitioning into post-secondary education. The publication is entitled Students with Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education: Know Your Rights and Responsibilities. The Publication is available to view or order online at www.ed.gov/print/about/offices/list/ocr/transition.html