Thor logo

Cloud County Community College

Concordia  •  Geary County  •  Online  •  Outreach

VA Benefits

Chapter 1606 (The Montgomery GI BILL- Selected Reserve) - To be eligible for this benefit you must enter into a six year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve. If you’re an officer, you must agree to serve six years in addition to your current obligation. You must have already completed your IADT(Initial Active Duty for Training) and have a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before you apply for the benefit. You can receive up to 36 months of full-time education benefits.The benefit is paid to the veteran student and it is their responsibility to pay the college for their tuition, fees, and any other charges that are on their student account.


Chapter 1607 (Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)) – REAP is available for active members of the Selected Reserve called to active duty and members of the Individual Ready Reserve (Army IRR, Air Force IRR, Navy IRR and Marine Corps IRR) called to active duty in support of a contingency operation or a national emergency declared by the President or Congress. The Department of Defense and the Department of Homeland Security (Coast Guard) determine who’s eligible for Chapter 1607, and the Department of Veterans Affairs administers the program and pays benefits.


Chapter 30 (The Montgomery GI BILL – Active Duty) - To use MGIB after you’re separated from active duty, your discharge must be fully honorable. Discharges “under honorable conditions” and “general” discharges don’t establish eligibility for MGIB. You will receive 36 months of full-time education benefits. The benefit is paid to the veteran student and they then are responsible for paying the college for their tuition, fees, and any other charges on the student account.


Chapter 31(Vocational Rehab) - This benefit has to be applied for through Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) VetSuccess services.  The veteran is evaluated and if they qualify for this benefit the VA counselor will submit an approval form to the college.  For more information about VR&E contact the Regional Office in the state of the veteran.        


Chapter 32(VEAP) - VEAP is available if you first entered active duty between January 1, 1977 and June 20, 1985 and elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program. For more information and to see if you qualify for this benefit go to


Chapter 33 (Post 9-11 GI BILL) - You may be eligible if you served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty* after September 10, 2001, or were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability after serving 30 continuous days following September 10, 2001. You will receive 36 months of full-time education benefits and the benefit is paid to the school.  The books and supplies stipend pays up to $1,000.00 per academic year and is prorated by the student’s length of service percentage. Active duty students are also eligible for the stipend.  Students eligible for Chapter 30, 1606 or 1607 must relinquish a benefit to receive Chapter 33.  Chapter 33 elections are irrevocable unless withdrawal or change requests are received in writing before a certificate of eligibility is issued or a payment processed.  


Chapter 35 (Dependents Education Assistance) - This benefit is paid to dependents of Veterans who have a service connected permanent and total disability or died as a result of service connection. Persons who may be eligible are:  a child (between ages 18 and 26, with some exceptions)  or a surviving spouse of a veteran who is permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died in service, or who died of a service-connected disability, or who died while evaluated as having total and permanent service-connected disability or who is listed as a POW or MIA.  


For more information on any of these benefits please visit the GI Bill website at,

Higher Learning Commission Mark of Affiliation


Cloud County Community College

2221 Campus Drive   •   Concordia, KS 66901   •   800-729-5101

Military friendly school